Pixar’s newest animation is going to skip theaters all together, and come straight to Disney+ this December.
Unlike Mulan, which followed suit earlier this year, the movie will not cost $30 to stream, and will instead be included in your regular Disney+ subscription.
Soul is at its heart about music. Here is the premise, as noted on The Wrap:
Joe Gardner, a middle school music teacher, has long dreamed of performing jazz music onstage, and finally gets a chance after impressing other jazz musicians during an opening act at the Half Note Club. However, an untimely accident causes Gardner’s soul to be separated from his body and begin to proceed to “The Great Beyond”. Gardner ends up in “The Great Before”, where souls develop before going to Earth. Gardner has to team up with the other souls to get back to earth, before his body reaches “The Great Beyond”, and before he misses his chance to fulfill his dream.
The cast includes a LOT of recognizable voices:
- Jamie Foxx – Joe Gardner, the protagonist
- Tina Fey – 22, a soul living in “The Great Before”
- Questlove – Curly, a drummer in Joe’s band
- Phylicia Rashad – Libba Gardner, Joe’s mom
- Daveed Diggs – Paul, Joe’s arch nemesis
- Angela Bassett – Dorothea Williams, a famous musician
- Graham Norton – Moonwind, a spiritual sign twirler
- Rachel House – Terry (no further description yet!)
- Richard Ayoade – Jerry, a soul counselor
- Alice Braga – Jerry, another soul counselor
Soul hits Disney+ December 25th. We can’t wait to see it!