There’s no toast quite like Tonga Toast. Don’t you wish you could recreate that magical taste right in your own kitchen?
Now you finally can! Earn your Tonga Toast Badge and make your own delicious Disney breakfast, without the trip to Walt Disney World.
Note: Recipe serves 4
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 quart canola oil (for frying)
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (uncut, 12 inches long)
- 2 large bananas, peeled
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl (large enough to roll toast) with a fork until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- Whip eggs in medium bowl (large enough to dip toast) until well beaten. Add milk, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix well and set aside.
- Preheat oil to 350 degrees in a large pot or a deep fryer. (If using a large pot, don’t let it get hotter than 350 or it will burn)
- Slice the bread into four 3-inch thick slices.
- Cut each banana in half crosswise, then each piece lengthwise.
- Place a bread slice flat on the counter and tear out just enough from the middle (do not tear all the way through) to stuff half a banana into; repeat with each bread slice.
- Dip stuffed bread into batter, covering both sides, and allow excess batter to drip off. Place into hot oil.
- Cook 4-5 minutes until golden brown. If needed, turn toast over after 2 minutes and cook for another 2 minutes on other side. Remove and drain excess oil.
- Roll toast in cinnamon-sugar blend. Repeat for each piece of toast.
Ta-da! Enjoy your tasty toast, and don’t be surprised if it becomes a household favorite!